Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Munich

This weekend I went to Munich to meet up with my mom. She was in England all last week for business, so she flew down to Munich on Saturday and flew back to the US on Monday. It was nice to see her, and more importantly, it was nice to get out of the house! I feel like I am here allll the time, so it was a relief to actually be able to go DO something. For anyone who complains about not having to take the bus/train/whatever: is it as bad as not having a car and living in a small town in the middle of nowhere? Yeah. I didn't think so.

So, one thing I didn't realize about Germany is that around Christmas, most of the cities have Christmas markets. Can we talk about how this is probably my new favorite thing? I had a little stop-over in Ulm when I was heading down to Munich, so I walked around the Christmas market there very briefly. It looked really nice, but unfortunately it was raining and there were a ton of people, which adds up to a not so fun Christmas market experience. I thought I'd be able to look around more on Monday morning on my way back, but it must open later in the day, so I missed it. The Christmas market in Munich was pretty lame--kind of like Oktoberfest but with some half-hearted crafts. The Christkindlmarkt, however, was great! We walked around there for a while and of course bought some stuff. I got a bunch of ornaments plus a cool little manger scence thing that has candle holders, and when you light the candles the heat makes this propeller-like thing on top spin around. Oh man, I can't wait til I have my own apartment or house so I can decorate for Christmas! Even though I complain endlessly about the cold here, there really is no better place than Germany to be around Christmas. I'm sure next year if I'm living in Atlanta I'll be whining that there's no snow.

Anyway, on Sunday after our disappointing Christmas market experience and our very fulfilling Christkindlmarkt experience, we took the subway out to the Olympic stadium and walked around there a little bit. It really is gigantic. We also went into the swimming pool arena, partly because it looked neat and partly because it promised to be warm (it was extremely windy the entire weekend--I'm still not sure if it was better than the rain). It was pretty awesome to see a true Olympic pool, complete with one of those really tall diving boards. Apparently it's open to the public to swim in, and it's not even that expensive.

After the Olympic stadium we walked over to a BMW building, which I think is a museum, but I'm not sure because another building that wasn't this one called itself the BMW Museum. I didn't find the cars that exciting, but then again, I don't usually. The building was pretty awesome though. We walked around in there for a few minutes and then took the subway back into town. Then we ate dinner at an Italian restaurant where the waiter spoke a mixture of German and Italian to us...the food was good though.

Speaking of food, the hotel we stayed in had an amazing breakfast every morning. It was a fairly big buffet with all sorts of hot food, fruit, breads, vegetables, meats. The day I left I ate there around 6:45 and I was full all the way up until lunch at 1. Ahh....I love food.

Please be proud. This is all I am writing about my trip! I know what you're thinking--without me sharing every single miniscule detail, how will you feel like you are living my trip along with me? Well, dear reader, you'll just have to miss out this time. But be prepared--I'm going to Nuremberg in a week and a half to see their Christmas market/eat gingerbread cookies, and after that Italy, so you have lots of long trip entries to look forward to!

No comments: