Wednesday, January 23, 2008

One more thing

My new favorite thing here: going to the library. The library in Heidenheim isn't that great, but they do have a fairly large selection of English books. I mean, most of them suck, but there are a few gems among the scum. And by gems I mean books I've been wanting to read but either could never bring myself to (read: classics that I always think will be boring) or books that I'd be too embarrassed to admit I'm reading except in a library where they don't speak English (read: chick-lit). Here are the books I read this week:

A Christmas Carol: How had I never read this before? How had I never read any Dickens before?? I really enjoyed it, although I think that if I were to tackle a longer Dickens novel I would get bored quickly. The writing is just so different from what I'm used to reading that I'd find I'd read an entire page and couldn't remember what had happened. I know, after that high praise, who wouldn't want to run out and read it? But seriously, you should. It's good. Also, I'm glad to finally know what the 84 different movie versions I've seen are based off of.

Summer Sisters: Um, I remember when people were reading this in, like, middle school. This book is NOT APPROPRIATE for middle schoolers!!! I guess some people thought the natural progression was from Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret to Summer Sisters, but I gotta say, I'm not letting my kid read this book that early. It was good, but there was a lot of sex. Like, a lot. Yeah, I liked it and all, but I wish someone had warned me.

And today I'm going back to the library so I can load up again. There's also a huge section of travel books, which I keep getting out and not reading. I got one out for Copenhagen and have dutifully not read it all week, except for one day when I slipped up and skimmed a few pages. I'll probably get one for Barcelona today, just to pretend that I'm planning for my trip.

No comments: