Friday, August 31, 2007

Second day

So, I'm completely over my jet lag! It's amazing what no sleep one night plus 14 hrs the next night can do. It was really nice to sleep in, especially since it will be my last time on a weekday for a while. I start every day at 7:30 AM. Good thing I can get ready fast--I'll definitely be getting up at 7:15 every day. Good thing my commute is short!

OK. Today I went with Stephanie to pick up Johanna from kindergarten (I think kindergarten here is pretty much like daycare in the US?). It's really close, which is nice. But, even so, I still have no idea how to get there. Fortunately Dominick does and he doesn't have school next week so he'll be able to show me how to get there.

After that we had lunch, which was "zwiebelkuchen", directly translated "garlic cake". It's a little bit hard to describe. I guess the closest thing would be a pot pie. It had egg and garlic in it. It was actually pretty good. But later, Stefan asked me if I had felt what the garlic does to the stomach, and I said no....then he said it makes "Luft" (air)...!!!! I guess here it's not taboo to ask someone if they have gas!!

After lunch I walked around Heuchlingen a little bit, just to see what it's like. It is REALLY small, but very cute. Imagine a German village. It's exactly like what you're picturing. The only weird thing was there was no one else walking around. The people that I saw when I was out all stopped and stared at me, it was a little unnerving.

Then when I got back, we all went into Heidenheim, where Stephanie's dental practice is. Her office is really nice. Everything looked so new. And then we walked around the pedestrian mall for a little bit and ate some (extremely cheap) ice cream. I love that ice cream is so cheap here and so much better than at home! And Stefan gave me my first months' pay, so now I have some money. Apparently very few places in Germany take credit cards, so it looks like I'll have to use cash for pretty much everything.

After we got back we had dinner, then I watched Stefan put the kids to bed (since I'll have to do that every Thursday) and now I am done. I might even attempt to watch some German TV later!

No comments: