Saturday, September 1, 2007

I watched a really weird movie last night

Here is a description of the movie I watched. It was a British movie dubbed into German, called "Die Baby-Krise". OK, here's the gist: Rosie and Vincent have been married for 5 years. They want to have a baby. They try for a year, but Rosie doesn't get pregnant (insert montage of sex scenes). They go to the doc, and she says, something is wrong with V's sperm, they're weak or something, and maybe they should consider a sperm donor. V is p.o.'ed. Later, R's former pen pal Benoit (who she has never met) shows up and is all, "hey, what's up?" R invites him to stay at their house and he does. V gets more and more ticked off b/c B is clearly in love with R and she doesn't see it. Meanwhile, V is off humping another woman who he and R once had a threesome with.......(I know). So, eventually B tries to kiss R, she's all "no this isn't right" then she finds out about V and Threesome Lady and she decides she wants to leave with B. V is even angrier, and hunts them down and tries to shoot B. During the shooting scene, V tells R that the doc called and she's pregnant, and then all is forgiven. The end.

Yeah. It was weird. But back to real life. Today I played with the kids a little bit. I think it helped them get a little bit used to me. It also helped me get used to speaking English with them while they speak German back at me (the parents want me to speak only English with the kids all the time). It's a little bit annoying since, you know, I want to learn to speak German. But I think it will be helpful in some ways because they both speak pretty slowly (since they're kids) and don't use very big words, so they're right on my level. And Dominik understands almost everything I say, so when I don't know a word in German, I can ask him in English.

And for lunch we had carrots and rice cooked with sugar over them. It sounds weird, but it was actually pretty good. Then for dinner we had chili, thank goodness for American food! A bunch of Stefan's old friends from college came over so he made a big pot of it. I don't usually like chili, but this was really good. It's hard to believe that it was the first time any of them had had chili, Stefan and Stephanie included.

Side note: the kids eat pretty much noodles with tomato sauce. Johanna sometimes eats rice and a little bit of other stuff, but noodles with tomato sauce is the extent of Dominik's diet. He refuses to eat anything else. So when I say "we ate this", I mean me, Stephanie, and Stefan.

The weather here is definitely a change from home. It was 85 or 90 at home when I left, and here it hasn't been over 65. They said that summer is over and now it's fall. It's pretty disappointing. I was hoping to not have to wear sweatshirts until maybe the middle of September.

I was going to bike into Dettingen today (the next village over), but it was windy so I didn't feel like it. I probably will tomorrow, as long as it's not too cold out. Dettingen has a supermarket! We don't have that here in Heuchlingen. We also don't have a bank or a post office. We have: a butcher. But one thing we have that probably no town of 900 in the U.S. can boast: two bus stops! So at least I can take the bus into Heidenheim and the train from there to anywhere.


Oh yeah, and I tried to load photos onto the computer, except somehow when I tried to move them from my memory card to the drive, they disappeared! And I can't find them! Luckily they were just pictures of my room and stuff so I'll take some more, but I hope that doesn't happen again! Check out facebook to see them, which is where I'll put them when I upload them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Werner said...

Hi Laura !

my name Werner

i live in Southern California/Las Vegas

I was born and grew upin Heuchlingen

just wanted to talk to you about this remote village

I know all people there except newcomers from the last 15 years

don't know if you live still there
or back in USA

I could've given you a lot of tips
how to manage life there since it's
very remote and problematic for young people without their own transportation

if you are back in USA you could still contact me about the village
since I have no contact anymore

I must say I'm much older than you could be your father was just wondering who stayed with who has an indoor swimming pool there

very rare there

Werner

Werner said...

Hi Laura !

my name Werner

i live in Southern California/Las Vegas

I was born and grew upin Heuchlingen

just wanted to talk to you about this remote village

I know all people there except newcomers from the last 15 years

don't know if you live still there
or back in USA

I could've given you a lot of tips
how to manage life there since it's
very remote and problematic for young people without their own transportation

if you are back in USA you could still contact me about the village
since I have no contact anymore

I must say I'm much older than you could be your father was just wondering who stayed with who has an indoor swimming pool there

very rare there

Werner