Monday, September 17, 2007

Week 2, Part 2: The saga continues

Saturday: We went to a kite festival in Heldenfingen, another nearby village. I had seen the article about it on the fridge for the past week, but I was pretty confused. I was almost positive that "drachen" means "dragon", but I was on the fence--does it mean kite instead? For awhile I reconciled this by thinking that maybe it was a dragon-kite festival. Turns out "drachen" means both kite AND dragon. Now, I'm sure we have words like that in English too, but I can't think of any right now. That just seems impractical! Anyway, the festival was kind of neat, but not that exciting. I mean, it was just kites. And the people were a little TOO obsessed, if you know what I mean. They wore t-shirts and everything (because we all know that people who wear t-shirst are secretly PSYCHOS). But whatev, I got some ice cream out of it.

Sunday: Woke up late and did pretty much nothing. It was great. We had an excellent lunch of grilled lamb and potatoes. After that I went for a run, and then more nothing. That's my kind of day.

Monday (today): Dominik's first day of school, and my first day of having the morning free! I did some housework and then went to the Rathaus to register (at least I think that's what I did...). I'd already tried to go to the Rathaus two other times to do that, and both times it was closed. I was beginning to think it was a major hassle, and then of course today it took about 2 minutes. How come getting my visa wasn't that easy?

Then this afternoon it was soooo nice out, which was quite a change! Dominik, Johanna, and I spent the whole afternoon outside, along with three of Dominik's friends, who all had excellent German names: Alina, Nikolas, and Lukas. Later on even little Johannes joined on. It was great to enjoy the nice weather and not have to be solely responsible for entertaining the kids!

Now it is time for some more relaxing...and time to watch some TV shows courtesy of tv-link.co.uk, which is my official favorite website. TV Links, I would like to thank you for bringing me shows in English in this country where, not only are the American shows dubbed into German, the German shows are really stupid. Too often you are taken for granted, even though you provide a great service to those of us in times of need. I want you to know that I admire and respect you. I am deeply thankful for all the work that has gone into finding all of these TV shows online. TV Links, I will never forget you--and maybe, someday, I'll even make a PayPal donation to you.

No comments: