Sunday, September 9, 2007

What's the difference between kaiserschmarn, pfannkuchen, and crepes?

Friday for lunch we had "pfannkuchen" aka pancakes, so there I was, thinking, oh, finally something I recognize! Nope. I mean, it was made the same way, except somehow they are a lot thinner, more like what I think of as crepes (although apparently crepes are also something different). Stephanie made them in a different way too: she poured the batter covering the entire skillet instead of making little ones (which I find much easier). Anyway, then she put marmelade or cheese or something on them for the kids and rolled them up, kind of like crepes, and cut them into small pieces. I decided I'd have to take my pancakes into my own hands then, so I made mine the way we make them in Amerika, in small circles. Then when I was eating them I put butter on them. The kids stared in shock while I did this, and acted like it was the grossest thing they'd ever seen. Now they know how I feel all the time here!!!

Yesterday morning we went to Heidenheim for what Stefan called an "event" (complete with quotes). There were food stands set up on the pedestrian street and some kind of lame street performers who the kids of course loved. We had crepes (which I still think are the same as pfannkuchen!) and walked around a little bit. Stefan and Stephanie swore up and down that they never see anyone they know in Heidenheim, so of course we saw about 10 people they knew.

Last night I went to a youth group in Schnaitheim (near Heidenheim)--and it was incredibly boring. It was about 3 hrs of Jesus-y stuff, and then an hour of hanging out. What made it so boring was that the woman who was leading it talked for a solid hour about a small bible passage, and I have a feeling that even if I had understood it I would have been bored. Who talks for an hour in a small group without stopping??? About 10:30 all the Jesus stuff ended, and by then I was tired and ready to go home. But we stuck around for another hour and talked a little bit. It was hard for me though, because not only do I not really know the other people, I also have trouble speaking German. I did a lot of sitting around.

I'll leave you with an exchange I had with Stefan yesterday.

Stefan: That's Alex, our neighbor. All the aupairs looove him. He's married though.
Me: Well, and I have a boyfriend!
Stefan: But he's far away!

No comments: